Frequently Asked Questions:

  • Do I need a doctor's referral for Occupational Therapy?

A: Parents can make a direct referral for their child to Kids Can Shine, no doctor's referral is needed.

  • How is Occupational Therapy Funded?

A: Many extended health care policies do provide Occupational Therapy coverage. However, we always recommend that you contact your provider to determine whether or not you are covered and the amount which your provider will cover.

  • What can I expect when setting up therapy services for my child?

A: When setting up therapy support for your child, you will speak directly to the Occupational Therapist.  Areas of need will be identified, to ensure this is the right therapy service for you to explore.  The OT will set up an appropriate assessment (either in the clinic, school or natural environment), to gain the most relative and valuable information for setting up your child's treatment plan.

  • What if my child requires other therapy services?

A:  When contacting Kids Can Shine, the therapist can help determine the most appropriate services to support your child needs.  Donna Legge-Nevett collaborates with an extensive community of supports in and around Wellington County, and can help establish important connections and resources to service your child's needs and developmental status.  Collaboration with Speech and Language Pathologists, Physiotherapists, Social Workers, Dietitians (just to name a few), are able to be coordinated with the support of Kids Can Shine.